It’s June in the Washington, D.C., area so you know what that means: It’s internship season!
Adjusting to a new city, making friends and learning everything to perform well at an internship isn’t easy. But there are ways to reduce the stress a summer internship can bring.
Searching for housing quickly and on an intern’s meager budget can be a nerve-racking experience. But 4stay’s online marketplace makes it a cinch. Students and interns can easily find housing that’s customized to their needs and budgets.
Learning the metro area is another challenge. Going out to meet people and have fun is a great way to do that, but it can be tough to do without breaking the bank. So get creative and check out the countless cheap or free summer activities in the D.C. area! Here are some popular ways to have fun and see the region on a summer intern’s tight budget:
- Get Jazzy – Locals and visitors alike flock to the National Mall every Friday through the end of August to hear sweet tunes at Jazz in the Garden. Bring a blanket, snacks and some friends.
- Cinema Under the Stars – There are dozens of places to catch free movies al fresco in the metro area. From D.C.’s popular Union Market Drive-In to Virginia’s Rosslyn Cinema, each week during the summer brings new outdoor films. Check out genres ranging from classic comedy to family friendly, and everything in between.
- America’s Birthday Bash – As you might expect, the Fourth of July is a big deal in the nation’s capital. A parade, concerts and a nationally-televised fireworks show are among the major activities making the celebration unlike any other in the country.
- Catch Up on Culture – A cultural experience doesn’t have to be high-brow and expensive. The Smithsonian Folklife Festival turns the National Mall into a showcase of different countries or themes (such as this year’s “circus arts” and “on the move”) for two weekends each year. Take in the free visual displays, hands-on exhibits, informational talks and music. There’s also great food, but you have to pay for that.
Heading out to experience a new city is fun, but staying in is a lot of fun, too. Especially having friends over to check out an awesome summer internship residence booked through 4stay. And let’s be honest, sometimes it’s a huge stress relief to not to deal with planning a night out. Here are a couple ideas if you need an excuse to stay in with friends:
- Game Night – Hosting a game night isn’t exclusive to the D.C. region. But it sure is a popular activity in this area where an invite for trivia or other brain games could get you a packed house in no time!
- Movie/TV show binge – A movie or TV night might not seem novel, but it can be by hosting a D.C.-centric show binge. Choose from options featuring the capital city like Scandal, House of Cards and The Americans, or rock it old school with The West Wing.
Who knows, maybe a D.C.-area summer internship will lead to great things and a job in the future. And to think, it can all start with easily picking the right short-term residence through 4stay.