Top 10 Places You Should Visit in Washington, D.C.
If you haven’t put visiting the nation’s capital on your bucket list, now’s the time! Washington, D.C., is a popular tourist destination for many reasons, including easy access and free museums. According to TripAdvisor, here are the top 10 places you can’t miss on your next D.C. visit:
- Lincoln Memorial: Located at the west end of the National Mall, this neoclassical memorial to one of the greatest U.S. presidents offers a great view of the Washington, D.C. Monument and the U.S. Capitol.
- National Gallery of Art: This art museum and gorgeous sculpture garden (which includes an ice rink in the winter) exhibits collections and works of art from many different countries and eras.
- Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum: This Smithsonian museum holds the largest collection of historic air and spacecraft in the world, from a 1903 Wright flyer to modern day spaceships.
- Library of Congress: This national library serves as the research library for Congress, is the largest library in the world, and is the oldest federal cultural institution in the U.S. (and boasts some breathtaking architecture).
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum: Adjacent to the National mall, this official memorial displays stories and artifacts from the historic Holocaust.
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial: These long gabbro walls listing soldiers’ names was designed to reflect images of visitors, uniting past and present.
- Korean War Veterans Memorial: Just south of the reflecting pool on the National Mall, this memorial includes a mural, stainless steel statues, and a Pool of Remembrance.
- Newseum: This interactive museum covers the history of communication, from the first printed pamphlets to the rise of the Internet Age.
- National World War II Memorial: A serene pool with fountains, statues and murals make up this memorial to the Second World War.
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial: A tribute to Roosevelt and the Great Depression years, this creative memorial allows you to spend time with the former president (and his dog, Fala).
If you’re looking for an extended D.C. stay, your housing provider is here to help you find a great place to apply your savings!